Friday, July 28, 2017

Bargain Ebooks: Two by Mercedes Lackey



The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey is on sale in ebook format for $2.99 and The Gates of Sleep by Mercedes Lackey is on sale for $5.99 for a limited time (probably ending soon).

These are the first two books in The Elemental Masters Series and are rarely on sale. They usually range in the $7.99 and $8.99 range. I happen to like the earlier books better and these two retellings are among my favorites of the series, interesting takes on Snow White and Sleeping Beauty respectively. I owned them in paper and just bought these myself in ebook since that is my preferred method of reading fiction these days for when I feel like a reread in the future.

While the link to the series above provides a full list of the series by one publisher, the series had a prequel of sorts with another publisher, The Fire Rose, an unusual take on Beauty and the Beast. I read that one long before the official series launched when fairy tale novels were a much rarer breed of book. (I used to be able to personally read all new releases with fair tale themes.) I'm a sucker for elemental magic and this was one of my first exposures to such. Add in Edwardian England and I have a lot of catnip here even when I think Lackey's speed of writing sometimes is a detriment to her quality. Fire Rose and Serpent's Shadow especially remain vivid in my memory and I first read them decades ago now. (When did I get so old?)

Also, since Lackey's series has been on the brains of others apparently, a new article about it published this month can be read here: Mercedes Lackey’s Elemental Masters Tells a Different Kind of Fairy Tale by Maggie Boyd.

No comments:

Post a Comment